FARMAN F224

 


Technical Specifications
Type
Civil transport four-engined aircraft with high wings and retractable landing gear
Date first flight
Juny 2,1937
Wingspan
36
Lenght
23,35 m 
Height
5,19
Wing Area
186 m2
Empty Weight
Kg 
Max. Takeoff Weight
16270 Kg 
Cruising Speed
km/h. 
Maximum Speed
310 km/h
Climbing Speed
4000 m in 8mn
Service ceilling
4900 m
Range
1200 kms
Crew
4 men
Motorization
4 Engines Gnôme Rhône 14N1 of 950 Hp each
Armament
40 Passengers

 


Production

6 Farman F224 were built for Air France, but refused by it, they were delivered to the Air Force.

To date, of the 6 aircrafts manufactured, 6 are listed in the list below :


Historical

The Farman F224 responded to a prototype market designed to provide Air France with a four-engine passenger transport capable of providing Paris-London and Paris-Marseille connections.

The prototype F224.01 is built in Billancourt in 1936: it takes the wing of the Farman 222, and is powered by four Gnome-Rhône 14 kdr 800hp. Its fuselage, specific, is designed to comfortably carry 40 people. The cabin has several passenger cabins separated by toilets, a bar, and luggage compartments. The crew, consisting of a pilot, a mechanic, and a radio-navigator is grouped in the cockpit located above the bar.

The Farman F224.02 was presented to the public at the Grand Palais during the Aeronautical Exhibition in November 1936, and at the end of the year, the civil registrations for the six aircraft ordered were already reserved with the civil aviation services ( F-APMA to F-APMF). On January 2nd, 1937, the Farman F224.01 made its first flight. The aircraft carries out manufacturer tests before joining the CEMA (Center of Experimentation of the Air Equipment). He is then transported to Le Bourget by the Air France test pilot: Lionel de Marmier. From the third plane, the Farman F224 being manufactured receive Gnôme-Rhône 14N0 / N1 825ch engines.

However, the Farman F224 will not get its certificate of airworthiness: its takeoff distance is considered too important. The company Air France therefore logically canceled his order.

It is the Air Force that will finally use these six aircrafts. In search of transport planes for its brand new airborne force, the Air Force has in the first place turned to the company Dewoitine (integrated into the SNCAM since the privatization), but the ordered D339 will never be delivered. The order is therefore changed to carry on commercial aircraft DD38 and 6 Farman F224 under test and renamed F224 TT for the occasion.

It was not until April 1939, that the Farman F224 TT modified to be able to transport 39 Parachutists are certified by CRAS (Center of Reception of the Planes of Series). The aircraft are assigned to the GIA 602 (Air Infantry Group) in September and based in Istres. In November 1939, they are moved to Calais: these devices are integrated in a plan for a troop transport to Holland in case of German invasion by that country. Finally the plan is abandoned.

At the time of the German attack of May 10, 1940, four of the F224 TT GIA 601 were based in Avignon. After the Armistice, the two GIAs, 601 and 602 are dissolved and the aircraft grounded by the flight ban.

Finally the surviving aircraft were assigned to the GTI / 15 and GT II / 15 transport groups, some of which will be destroyed on the ground by Allied hunters during the landing in North Africa.


Versions

The Farman F224 were built in one version

 


Bibliography

1 )_ Editions LELA PRESSE ; Revue "Avions" n°23,24,25 et 26
- Farman F220 - 224

 


Photos Album

 


Drawing 3 views

Site in French
 
Site in English