In 1935, the Salmson Company
studied an aircraft intended for the training of the pilots of the
Air Force. Of traditional wood design, it is presented as a two-seater
parasol monoplan with fixed landing gear. It is powered by an air-cooled
SALMSON 9 Adr star, 60 hp, driving a three-blade wooden propeller.
The pilot and his passenger are installed in tandem
The prototype makes its first
flight on April 14, 1936 under the name of D6 Cri-Cri. The Air Force
commands 30 copies to equip its EEP (Elementary Piloting Schools),
as well as the Naval Air which takes into account two aircraft.
In September 1936, in order
to develop the popular aviation, the Ministry of Air orders a hundred
D6 Cri-Cri to equip the Aero-Clubs and flying schools throughout
France. Many pilots will be trained on this device perfectly suited
to learning flight: very stable and able to fly at very low speeds,
it has a wide track landing gear that facilitates the taxi.
At the outbreak of war in
September 1939, the Air Force requisitioned many Salmson D6 civilians
and ordered several copies to the firm to strengthen its ability
to train pilots. Despite this, the training of pilots will be chaotic
and long because of the congestion of flying schools.
The Salmson D6 Cri-Cri will
also be used as liaison devices or in observation and surveillance
missions during the Funny War. They will receive a standard camouflage
and some will receive a 7.5mm machine gun rear defender.
After the Armistice, some
surviving aircrafts will be seized and used by the Germans.